NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Thursday 24 March 2011

Out again on the bike

The sun was shining again today so I headed out on the bike once more; the third time in three days! This time, though, there were 2 significant differences to the last 2 days. 1, I had a ride buddy, and 2, it was extremely windy on the seafront.

We started out with the wind behind us, me once again selecting a single gear for the whole ride and spinning like a dervish whilst my ride buddy used the optimal gear. However, as we turned to come home my gear seemed to be the optimal one and we were closely matched, but then as we turned into wind it became a bit of a grind. No, let's be honest, a real grind! This was supposed to have been an easy session with the hard session tonight on the turbo, but it was apparent that this was actually quite a hard session so I have decided to relax this evening.

Not sure what to do tomorow; the bike will once again be in the car if the weather is nice but I will also have my swimming kit with me. The weather will make the decision for me.

Train smart folks. And be Happy!

9 comments:

in2triathlon said...

"Here's a little song I wrote, you might want to sing it note for note, don't worry, be..." I vote smash out some sprints in the pool.

Turbo Man said...

I might use that in the pool one day!

When you say sprints do you mean 33.5s or 67s? Yes, it's a 33.5m pool! How about as many 2 lengths as I can handle? With how much RI?

Daz Sharpe said...

weather man predicts more cycling!

Cavegirl said...

Or swim and do

10 lap warm up

10 lots of 33 m sprints all out with 2 minute RIs

10 lap warm down

Job done :-)

Watch the injury potential with Crossfit - if you look at their forums there are rather a lot of injury threads! Know you limits LOL!

Turbo Man said...

Thanks Cavegirl, that sounds doable.

Understand ref CrossFit and injury potential; our instructors are very focussed on keeping good form and emphasise the need to maintain good form rather than go for speed or more weight. They are also very good with our son and conscious of the fact that at 17 he is still growing and therefore needs to be careful about how much weight he lifts. He is much stronger than me, though, already!

Turbo Man said...

Just back from the pool. Yes, the weather is lovely but I haven't swam this week so thought I really should, and Cavegirl's session was just the ticket; almost enjoyed myself! The single length sprints were taking between 27 and 29 seconds and felt OK, not great, but OK. Evening off tonight, CrossFit tomorrow and then hopefully the weather will be dry on Sunday so I can take my Litespeed (with its gucci new wheels) for its first ride out in2011.

in2triathlon said...

Possible ride outside on Sunday. Yippee.

I had the day off work today and spent 4hrs on the turbo when it was 17 degrees outside. Alll for the iM cause. Does that make me crazy???

Cavegirl said...

@Turbo - excellent, glad you 'enjoyed' it!

@in2triathlon, do you really want me to answer that LOL!

Turbo Man said...

In2 - Yes! Absolutely!!! :-)