NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Wednesday 23 March 2011

CrossFit

After my lovely bike ride yesterday I was back at the CrossFit gym last night. Last night was typical of what goes on at CrossFit; after a suitable warm-up the session was:

70 Burpees - from standing, crouch, half a squat thrust into the press-up position, press-up, 2nd half of squat thrust then drive up, jump and stretch arms in air to full extension.
60 Sit-ups - full range of movement.
50 Kettlebell swings - only 16kg for me.
40 Pull-ups - I'm still assisted but I'm up to the blue band now (or is it purple?).
30 Handstand push-ups - no way can I do a set of handstand push-ups so it's the 24" box for me (effectively raised leg press-ups but bringing the hands as close to the box as possible, making the upper body as vertical as possible).

Follow this with a cool down, some stretching and foam roller as appropriate.

I'm certainly feeling it this morning! :-)

13 comments:

Turbo Man said...

And another 50 minutes on the bike in the sunshine today. :-)

Turbo Man said...

2 days in the sun and the first hint of tan lines!

Cavegirl said...

Just reading your post it occurred to me that what you are really enjoying is that fact that you are being challenged and as yet you can't do all the moves but are working toward being able to so there is a lot of positive feedback going on.

As far as IM is concerned there is no challenge left for you - you can do it, you even have the tattoo! You can swim and run (after a fashion) so where's the incentive ... that's your problem, I'd withdraw now from Outlaw if I were you and just keep on keeping on with the things that are motivating you.

I found that after Roth mark II, I really didn't want to do Barcelona to be honest, the challenge was gone.

Unknown said...

Cavegirl you are probably right, i have felt like that at times. however there is always a double, triple deca IM??? that would be challenging!

Turbo Man said...

I don't see myself withdrawing from the event as I think I will really enjoy it (once I get out of the water, or should that be 'if'?). I don't have to make that decision yet. I'm pretty sure my biking will be strong and my running will be 'adequate', I'm certainly doing far more running via CrossFit than I was before. I'll see where I am come June and then decide.

And Roy, no chance! The Outlaw is my triathlon swansong. The Final Chapter. And no more. Ever!

Cavegirl said...

No Roy, not challenging, suicidal!

Seriously if you've read as much research as I've been doing over the last 15 months about the effect of conventional training and racing (long distance particularly) you'd never compete in another IM again!

Turbo - I shall watch this space with interest :-)

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

"And Roy, no chance! The Outlaw is my triathlon swansong. The Final Chapter. And no more. Ever!"

Watch this space!!!! ;-)

Cavegirl said...

Just blogged with recent news ... I don't think the risks are worth it any more.

Cavegirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daz Sharpe said...

Reading your crossfit session I was tired after the situps!! good work mate, keep it up especially if you enjoy it so much.

in2triathlon said...

Carrying on with the theme of the last few posts. What we're really talking about is Happiness. Happiness is process driven. Being able to get up every day and do something you love. If you fall in to the goal orientated lifestyle trap (not you Turbo - anyone) ie finish that Ironman in X time then it builds up resentment of the sport. Enjoy the challenge everyday for what it is and don't look too far ahead on a regular basis. Whether its triathlon, crossfit or walking the dog in all weathers. :-)

Turbo Man said...

Nicely summed up Neill.

Sags said...

I agree.

But i want the time goals. I love the numbers game. I like the goals. i end up resenting the sport for about 2 mins then get back on the train.

Ok, i don't agree 8-)