NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Thursday 10 March 2011

First 'Strength' Session

Today was a bit of an 'improv' session as I realised last night that this was supposed to be Week 1 of my Strength Block. It seems that starting CrossFit has affected my ability to read my training plan! Hey ho! So today I hit the gym bike with a plan for a 'strength' session, not sure if that's the right word but it was low(ish) cadence and high resistance. It was a bit hit-and-miss because as this was the first session I wasn't sure what level it should be done at, and as I was on the gym bike I couldn't set a power figure. Anyway, I managed 4 x 4 mins with 1 min RI and once I had established the level to use my HR was above 90% of max towards the end of the 4 mins. I couldn't remember what cadence Neill had recommended so used 70rpm; I was somewhat surprised when I re-read Neill's advice to see it should be 35-40rpm! My legs are in bits now, probably not helped by the fact that the CrossFit session on Tuesday was 100m sprints (running not cycling!). I'm certainly looking forward to my rest day tomorrow.

2 comments:

in2triathlon said...

Not sure where 90% of max hr comes from. Lol.

Weights and running make cycling way harder. How much cycling do you do per good week? Is it quite low at the moment? If it is you're better off just having fun than putting in a specific strength trg block in on the bike.

I await your next Crossfit blog avidly. :-)

Turbo Man said...

To be honest Neill, everything is at a very low level of volume at the moment. I'm really enjoying the CrossFit sessions but I need 3 days to recover from them! Tomorrow is supposed to be a rest day but I've arranged an easy bike ride at lunchtime - hopefully the weather will be kind. Then it's CrossFit on Saturday and then a long ride if I can manage it.