NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Wednesday 11 March 2009

Sssssssssshhhh! You know who is about ...

No, not He Who Must Not Be Named but the P*ncture Fairy; she paid me a visit on our ride out this evening. As usual with such visits, it happened on a tiny country lane in the pitch black. Fortunately I was riding with someone who was well prepared, and wearing a head torch, otherwise it would have been a right pain in the butt. It didn't spoil a great ride out though and if you've never ridden downhill on an unlit country lane with no idea which way the road is going then I can thoroughly recommend it! Adrenaline? I should say so! (Perhaps not for you though Sags?). We covered a little over 60km in 2 hrs 10 mins, with the last 10 or so km done at a very rapid rate and, once again, I jumped off the last roundabout, half a mile from the finish. And once again, I was caught but this time Ed did not sit up as he went past and there was no chance of me getting back.

I'm feeling brilliant as I sit here with a good ride under my belt and compression tights on. I have 6 hrs 45 mins in the training log that includes 5 hrs 45 mins and 105 miles of cycling (ave 18.2mph) - and it's only wednesday! What's more impressive is that my body seems to be adapting to the cycling quite quickly - I struggled last Wednesday to cover 30 miles at a slower pace than we did today and I felt strong enough towards the end to take the front and push on at over 40kmh, and even when I weakened and Ed took the front and ramped it up a little further (!) I was able to catch his wheel (he pulled a gap but I got back on - just!). I'll see how the legs are in the morning but at the moment I'm feeling really good.

Train smart fellow bloggers.

1 comment:

Sags said...

That cannot be the puncture fairly!

I could be in trouble on Sunday's ride if Turbo Man maintains this sort of improvement.