NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Wednesday 25 March 2009

The Good, The Bad and The Mad!

Let's start with The Good. I've entered the Inter Services Cycle Sportive taking place at Highclere Castle on 7 Jun 09. There are 2 choices of distance, 77 miles and 126 miles, and I have committed to the 126 mile route. As well as long the course is hilly but I'm hoping it will give me a good clue as to how my cycling endurance is in preparation for Barcelona in October.

The Bad. I've been at a Conference for 2 days and as well as training being severely reduced my nutrition intake has consisted of just about everything bad you could possibly imagine. Not looking forward to jumping on the scales this weekend.

The Mad. Jonny Briggs. On returning from the aforementioned conference there was a message from Jonny inviting me round for dinner. We had a great evening catching up and chatting about stuff in general and about the Marathon de Sables in particular. I struggle to believe that Jonny is attempting this on approx 2400 calories a day but he has worked it all out and reckons he can do it. I'm sure he has the mental toughness to see it through and he has prepared as well as he possibly could. He flies out tomorrow (26 March) to start this madcap adventure and I wish him absolutely every success. His team are doing it to support Help for Heroes and it's not too late to donate some money - see here: www.justgiving/rafmds09. Best of luck to them all.

1 comment:

Iron Girl said...

2400 cal a day? Has he missed a zero off his calculations? I eat that most days!