NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Monday 9 March 2009

Do You Want to be a Triathlete or a Cyclist?

I asked a friend for some coaching advice and this was the first line of his response, and it got me thinking. It's well known that my 2009 plans revolve totally around a fast bike leg at Quelle Challenge Barcelona in October, and that I have already stopped swimming, but what do I want to do afterwards? What will I be doing in 2010?

There are a couple of things I would like to have done in triathlon - race in GB kit, complete the Alpe D'Huez Tri - but that's about it and if I'm totally honest not doing these would not diminish my life significantly. In fact, not at all. But cycling, both sportives and time trialling, appeal to me. When we were out riding yesterday we had a wind assisted downhill stretch that went on for a couple of miles with some fast corners (not the lean the bike over and pray type corners I hasten to add!) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Even getting my butt kicked by Sags on the Sawtry TT course until I cried "Stop!" was strangely enjoyable.

So the answer was, unsurprisingly, "A Cyclist". And my training over the weeks and months ahead will reflect this decision. Am I lost to triathlon and RAF Tri? No, I don't think so, as long as the Sprint Series continues, I enjoy the friendly atmosphere and there is now even more reason to go out and absolutely cane the bike leg. The difference now, of course, will be that I'll be putting 10 minutes down for my swim time and be back in the changing rooms before the fast boys get started. I might even be tempted out to the IS races as a guest - I still have a decent wetsuit so it needs to get wet occasionally. And if anyone is putting together an IM relay team in 2010 then I would be more than interested in cycling for them. Have I enjoyed triathlon? Absolutely. From where I was 7 years ago to today has been absolutely fantastic, and no-one can ever take away the fact that I have completed an Ironman race, and I have the tattoo to prove it.

At least I can carry on being called "Turbo Man".

Moving on to cheerier things, I was inspired by Tinman today. No, seriously, I was. I was reading his blog and in particular the picture of him on his bike. His position looked excellent and it got me thinking (again - twice in one day - ouch!). When I first met Mike many years ago at Lossiemouth we were both new to the sport and stumbling around the Half Ironman course at Aberfeldy, quite literally in Mike's case, where he threw up in some old lady's garden and she took pity on him and took him inside and gave him a cup of tea. To see how far he has progressed as an athlete, his enthusiasm for the sport and that he gives something back as a race referee and organiser for RAF Tri is really impressive. Anyway, I'm rambling, Mike's picture inspired me to try some new things out on my turbo bike this evening, to see if I could improve my position. Having a number of different length stems lieing around when you choose to do something like this really helps, plus 2 sets of tribars etc etc. Anyway, bottom line is, I tried something new and, from my perspective, it seems better. And all thanks to a picture of Tinman on his bike. Thanks Mike.

Train smart folks.

5 comments:

Sags said...

Tis both a sad day, and a happy day! sad because tri Mick is departed; happy because it is the start of a new journey. Your progress will be interesting T Man. In fact, if your cycling takes off, I may do the same!

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

Come on guys, stick with the tri life, you know it makes sense! :-)

Iron Girl said...

Wot? No swimming? I'm confused and perplexed. I'm going to adopt the fetal position until the disturbing talk goes away.

Lonsy said...

:o(

This means I'm gonna have to get out on my bike and race you on that instead. Time to buy a time trialler methinks...

Turbo Man said...

I'll be at the RAF Sprint races if you fancy a piece of me.