NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Wednesday 18 March 2009

And today I ...

... cycled some more; now there's a surprise! Wednesday is turning into a regular training night with Chairman Ed of RAF Cycling. Week 1 was 48km, last week was 60km, and today was 75km in 2:40. Excellent. Started steady with some harder efforts up the hills. Did a loop around the back of Southwick Park and then returned the same way back, but picking up the pace a bit. Ed also pushed the uphill bits reasonably hard (a bit like Sags - I should be used to this by now!). I managed to pull us along for a bit before Ed took charge again. As we approached the end I hit the front a bit earlier - got to keep him on his toes - and although I upped the pace I was pooped and with about 300m to go Ed came passed and I had nothing left to respond with. Another brilliant ride out and some good training in the bank.

The trouble with all this bike riding is that it shows up deficiencies in your kit. I now have a large blister on the sole of my left foot; I reckon my ageing Carnac shoes are telling me they're worn out and I need some new ones. There is a horrible bump on the inside that is causing the blister but my cycling piggy bank is currently empty. Looks like I'll have to use the race shoes for a bit.

Cycling is good - do some more.

Train smart fellow bloggers.

No comments: