NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Friday 27 March 2009

A bit of a strange week

What with work, dinners out, marching in to our new house, travelling etc, it's been a bit of a poor week training wise. But, after 4 good weeks of training it fits quite nicely as a recovery week. I did go out on Wednesday night on my MTB for a recce of dog walking areas around our new home. Unfortunately, I came a cropper in some shingle and suffered an embarrassing comedy "pedal" moment; we've all done it, you come to a stop but can't unclip in time and suffer the ignomy of a slow fall from grace. I got up quickly and looked around to make sure no-one had seen me (they hadn't!) and jumped back on again. The only damage (apart from my pride) was a scratched phone.

Hopefully, I will get out for a run tomorrow (and maybe a quick 25 mile ride as well?) and am planning to ride with Sags on Sunday so should manage about 6 hours or so - an ideal recovery week. Sags has just texted to remind me that the clocks go forward on Saturday night ...

My Litespeed has been getting used a lot over the past few weeks and is suffering in the cleanliness stakes. Bally (remember him?) would have apoplexy if he saw it. I must make the effort to clean it this weekend. Following the article about bike set up in Cycling Weekly last week, I thought I would re-measure the Litespeed because over time things can change, especially when you are constantly putting bikes together and taking them apart for travelling etc. I spent a good amount of time checking the various measurements and was surprised that the saddle height of my Litespeed was 2.5cms less than my TT and Turbo bikes. I re-measured but it seemed to be correct, so I left it. But it puzzled me. It was only later that evening after I had put all the bikes to bed (!) that I realised my mistake; I had done the test without wearing shoes! As Father Dougall would say - "Eedjyat!"

As a bit of fun, I've been "building" my dream bike - the internet is a wonderful thing. Final choice is unusual but weighs less than 13.5lbs and is kitted out with some super kit, although I do insist on alloy handlebars. The cost? Well, it's not cheap but no more expensive than some of the top spec bikes from Trek, Specialized etc. I think Santa in Christmas 2010 may be very good to me. I hope.

Train smart fellow bloggers.

No comments: