NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Monday 16 March 2009

Something Old, Something New ...

We're a profligate bunch of people; how often do we replace something that isn't necessarily worn out or broken? More often than we perhaps should I suspect. The other night after being inspired by Mike Masters I was tinkering with my position on my turbo bike (no hint of profligacy there then?) and was looking for that perfect position. Eventually I found it (or as near as I can in the relatively controlled conditions) and guess what? I achieved it using an old set of Profile Century tribars. Yes they're bulky and heavy but for the turbo that makes no difference. When I first started out in tri I bought these for my road bike, the pads are thick and comfortable and the hand hold is spot on for me. Tonight, therefore, I parked The Prince of Darkness next to my turbo bike and took some measurements and made some adjustments. PoD is now as close as possible to the measurements of my turbo bike, albeit with a slightly lighter tribar set up. I have compromised aerodynamics a little bit with the hand position but this has got to see me through a 112 mile TT so I reckon I am allowed a little comfort.

I will post some pics of me on the bike asap.

1 comment:

Sags said...

Tsk! Cyclists! Always tinkering with their bikes! Won't catch me doing that!