NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Saturday 5 February 2011

The Weather, Training & The Six Nations


The Weather here has been horrible; cold (although not as cold as it has been), wet and very, very windy. I had made preliminary plans to ride with Tinman tomorrow (Sunday) but there is just no way I will ride in such conditions, it's just too dangerous (IMHO). That said, from a training perspecctive this has been a good week, and providing I get another good session on the turbo tomorrow will see another increase in my training volume. Small steps, as they say.

The Six Nations rugby has started again, and I've managed to see all 3 matches this weekend. England beating Wales may not have been a thriller but it was one of those occasions when it was the result that mattered most! Although not partisan, I found myself hoping that Italy would hang on to beat Ireland, but it wasn't to be. Not a great game, but the last 5 minutes were very tense; I was just glad I wasn't a supporter of either side as that would have been a real emotional rollercoaster of a ride! I watched France v Scotland whilst on the turbo and at half time got off and did some core work. This was certainly the pick of the 3 games and although Scotland never looked likely to beat France they did manage to score 3 tries which is no mean feat in Paris. France were very good going forward but were wobbly in defence so fingers crossed for some excellent rugby in the weeks ahead.

I'm hoping to get back to the swimming pool this coming week and will listen to Neill's advice about getting a long swim in on a regular basis; I reckon once a month qualifies as regular! Neill reckons that swimming 3 or 4 times a week is the minimum number of times a triathlete should swim. And I'm glad about that. My 2 times a week (maximum!) means I remain a cyclist who is going to complete a triathlon, rather than making me a triathlete!

All the best.

2 comments:

in2triathlon said...

Lol. :-)

Michael said...

Fair Weather Triathletes!

I managed to go out and play. Hard work and almost over cooked it on the bike when I lost the map and went the wrong way.

75Km is a good ride in those them hills. Blustery wind was fun...

Have to agree with Neil on the swims. 3 is basic 4 is better. 1 speed, 1 drill 1 endurance and 1 recovery.