NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Friday 11 February 2011

Another Good Session

Last night I hit the turbo as planned and after a nice warm up completed 6 x 30 seconds maximal effort with 4 min recovery at L2 effort. Regular readers here will know that I'm a fan of this session because it has been scientifically proven to bring on the same results as regular L2 rides lasting approx 2.5 hours, and it's all over in 47 minutes including warm up and warm down. In other words, my type of training! I was initially sceptical about the science behind it as the group used was quite small, but there have been subsequent tests using larger groups that have returned similar results. It's therefore a regular in my training regime. I do, though, need to change my cassette on the turbo bike as I am currently limited by cadence rather than my ability to produce power; time to bring out the 11-tooth on the turbo! And HR was over 90% of MHR at the end of each 30 seconds so exactly as it should be.

Despite my binge yesterday, the training seems to be doing the trick as I weighed 11 4.8 (72.2kg) this morning.

2 comments:

Cavegirl said...

Sounds positive again. Can't you just turn up the resistance on the turbo rather than messing around with cassettes, that's what I do if I run out of gears (which does happen occasionally before you jest!).

FTP test ... ? When ?

Turbo Man said...

But I also record the distance and adding resistance affects that. But yes, I could.

I have put the FTP test date in the diary. :-)