NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Tuesday 22 February 2011

Something Different

I don't know about you but I am always looking for ways to make my training more interesting, and with the increased usage of our gym at lunchtimes (probably caused by the miserable weather) of late I have had to think on my feet a few times. I usually default to the rowing machine as I know this gives me a good workout and today I came up with an interesting and enjoyable session, as follows:

Ensure the rowing machine has the elapsed time and pace/500m showing.
Warm up for 5 mins.
At the 5 min point and every 2:30 thereafter do 10 strokes at maximum effort.
In between, maintain your pace faster than the average pace/500m showing on the computer.
Continue for as long as you like; I managed 30 minutes.

Sounds easy, but as the more astutue of you will notice the average pace/500m will continually get faster as the session progresses, so although it starts relatively easy it continues to ramp up all the way to the end.

I followed this with 30 minutes of core, stretch and flex and have an hour easy on the turbo planned for this evening.

I'm not sure why but I'm feeling very tired of late; maybe it's having the kids home or maybe it's the cumulative effect of training and my body getting used to exercising regularly again after almost 3 months off. Either way, I need more sleep, but with a house full of people it's proving difficult.

Train smart folks.

4 comments:

Cavegirl said...

You're back on the carb train that's why - cake ... it has carbs, it's not one of those magical foods that doesn't LOL!

Turbo Man said...

Cake? I never mentioned cake. Who mentioned cake? Where?

Cavegirl said...

I quote from your MSN byline ...
'Training well and eating cake'

And who is Hann!!!???

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

Good to mix it up sometimes, nice work Turbo!