NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Saturday 19 February 2011

It Must Be Springtime!


Why? Because I've been out on my bike this morning and you all know what a fair weather cyclist I am!

If I'm honest, and it was left to me, I wouldn't have gone. After walking the dog I realised it was cold, wet and windy, the combination of conditions I dislike the most. But I had arranged to meet one of my cycling buddies so I had to go, rain or shine. So I routed around for all my kit and eventually found it all (more evidence that this was my first outdoor ride this year!) and then, when I got out to the garage, I had to find spare inner tubes and gas cannisters. I found those but couldn't find my multi-tool so went without it (yet more evidence, if it was required!); I really must get more organised!

After all the faffing I was a few minutes late leaving and when I reached Titchfield Hamish was waiting for me - I had hoped he wouldn't show so I could just turn round and go home! We headed off on to one of our regular routes that takes us north towards Wickham before looping round to Southwick and then back to Titchfield. The effort level was easy with efforts on the uphill bits; Hamish looks to be in good shape and dropped me on all the hills (the fact that he only weighs about 10 stone certainly helps here), but I kept up a steady rhythm and never felt overly stressed. As usual, the final few kms back to Titchfield saw the pace increasing although it certainly wasn't a flat out effort. After dropping Hamish off at his house I enjoyed an easy final 10kms home for a total ride of 74km in 2 hours 44 minutes. We had a few laughs on the way round, the funniest moment being when Hamish waved a considerate driver, who was waiting patiently behind us for an opportune moment to overtake, passed on a short straight. Unfortunately this was just before one of those kerb-to-kerb puddles and as the car went passed it covered us in a wave of tsunami proportions! Oh how I laughed. :-(

When I got home I undressed in the garage and I don't think there was a single dry part of me. But you know what? I really enjoyed it. How weird is that.

Tomorrow I will be back on the turbo for the 6 x (30 seconds max 4 min L2) session; this will take me over my target 9 hours for the week. So another good week in the bag although still no swimming, although this time that was not entirely my fault.

Train smart folks

PS Thanks for all the comments ref Mrs TM; she's very sore today and has some very nice bruises and a nasty graze on her hand. Nothing appears to be broken though; the lengths some people will go to to get out of housework - unbelievable!

3 comments:

Cavegirl said...

There is nothing like getting out on the bike, even when it's a bit less than optimum weatherwise. In fact I think sometimes there's even more satisfaction when you go in the less clement weather, a kind of 'well done me' affect!

Glad Mrs T is OK, was going to text you later to check.

Daz Sharpe said...

That's 74km more than i did this weekend! Well done for getting out. (I had planned 2 days rest though so don't feel to bad about doing nothing)

Unknown said...

nice one MrT, all the best to Mrs T