NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Thursday 28 October 2010

I'm Enjoying the Off-Season


After 2 years of cycling I'm really enjoying doing something different, although for you triathletes swimming and running doesn't really constitute something different! I've also introduced some weights into my weekly routine, a low weight higher rep session and and higher weight low rep session. I must say that my muscles are noticing the change in emphasis as well, and I do ache in a whole bunch of different places!


I've done 2 swim sets this week, Monday was 5 x 200m + 8 x 33m lengths of drills and technique. Wednesday was a MASSIVE 6 x 200m session on 4:30 with swim times as:

3:32

3:34

3:39 (fatigue setting in already)

3:47 (easy)

3:34 (increased effort level)

3:57 (very easy)

Considering my swim history over the last 2 years I am absolutely delighted with these times. Distance in increasing slowly; absolutely no need to rush.


Bike prep is continuing. I would recommend anyone who needs some Shimano 10-speed STIs to pop over to Parker-International's website; they have brand new 2008 Ultegra STI's for an absolute bargain price. I can now upgrade my Planet X bike to 10-speed and complete my old Scott re-build that will be left at the new house in Leeds.


Eating and drinking is continuing apace; in fact, even better than the bike prep! I got on the scales yesterday and it wasn't pretty. Never mind; I'll start eating sensibly again next week.


All the best fellow Bloggers.

1 comment:

Cavegirl said...

Oh yes, think I can probably outdo you on the weight gain this week!

Nothing non-Grok but I really didn't need a three course pub lunch followed by a two course restaurant evening meal today both with wine ...

Back to normal on Monday :-)