NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Tuesday 5 October 2010

Challenge Barcelona - My 'Man in the Arena moment'

I really like the 'Man in the Arena' speech made by Theodore Roosevelt in 1910 (see the famous summary above). For me it epitomises why many of us compete (in whatever sport). We put ourselves out there but by it's very nature the result cannot always be positive. But we keep trying. And the fact that we keep trying is more commendable than those who prefer to comment on our failures.

For me, Challenge Barcelona 2010 was my 'Man in the Arena' moment. I came up short. I wasn't covered in dust, sweat and blood, but by dust, sweat and vomit. It was hot, very hot, and humid and I failed to take action to reduce my sky high HR early enough. I could get the nutrition in, but it refused to stay in. I am hugely disappointed as I thought I had prepared very well; I was below 70kg and my bike power was slightly up on 2009. And yet it still went horribly wrong. There is very little more to say about my performance.

Matt Molloy was my room mate in Spain and swam for the team in a very impressive 49 minutes (although what was more impressive was that he didn't barge into the bathroom and take a photo of me shaving my legs - take note Monsieur Briggs!). He then went on to cycle for another relay team in an almost as impressive 4 hours 50 minutes. Matt has entered IM Austria in 2011 and hopes to qualify for Kona; he's also hoping to break the Irish IM record that currently stands at 9.01 (I think!). I'm confident he can achieve both; he's a really nice guy and I wish him every success in 2011.

As you are probably aware, Cavegirl Kelda ran for us. For 18km. Kelda has had a great year of cycling but a bad year of running and a marathon in the heat was a big ask and, as it proved, several steps too far. So be it. Another 'Man in the Arena' moment perhaps?

It's now time for my winter break and, to be quite honest, I am ready for it. I want to eat cake, drink wine and not keep a training diary. I have an idea of what I want to do between now and Christmas but my 2011 plans are completely up in the air at the moment. Let's wait and see shall we?

Rest well folks.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - sounds like a world of hurt. I'm sorry it turned out badly (although 112 miles in 5:20 is good going!), but well done for all the hard work in training, and for making it out to Spain to compete in your goal event.

Sounds like you need a nice quiet, cool & wet ride around the Surrey Hills to recover - see you in a week or so!

Turbo Man said...

Thanks Darren. Yes, I am looking forward to that ride although I suspect I won't be touching a bike between now and then.

Daz Sharpe said...

Hi Tman, sorry it didn't go to plan, i've been there in that situation too mate in South Africa 09. Its not a good place to be!!! Enjoy the rest now and start planning for next year.

Cavegirl said...

Yep, very hot, very humid and just not our day eh Turbo, que sera sera.

Everyone I've spoken to so far seems to confirm it was a strange set of weather conditions.

As I waited for Turbo in blazing sun (no shade provided for the teams) I watched an endless stream of people come in off the bike, looking like they'd already run the marathon ... not good!

Even Matt, superhero swimmer had to drop his power by more than 40 watts (and that's a lot!)to keep his heart rate around 80%, he managed 4:50 so watch out for him next year LOL! He can run a bit too.

Unknown said...

unlucky mate, as long as you finished in one piece you can re-group and go again! enjoy the post season rest, wine and chocolates!

Sags said...

You didn't come up short dude. It's just the way it goes sometimes. I still think you're the best 8-)

Turbo Man said...

Thanks for the kind comments; I love you all! :-)

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

Unlucky dude, plenty of other races out there!

Rest well (I'm sure you will!), catch up soon!