NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Friday 8 October 2010

So what does 2011 hold for me?

I was chatting to a colleague in the changing room today - yes, I went to the gym for 20 minutes easy on the bike and a 25 minutes introduction to weights - and we were talking about 2011 and, specifically, what were my plans?

I know that I will be on a course at Shrivenham from mid-August to mid-October so my season effectively ends in early August. So I need something to aim for, probably in July. I actually have an idea, I just don't want to share it just yet. If it happens, then it will probably surprise a few of you and maybe shock 1 or 2 others. But I think it might be fun. There are a couple of things I need to do before I'm sure and, from what I've read of late, I'm still not sure the event will actually be happening. So no point getting too excited just yet.

I'm still working on the details, but between now and Christmas I plan to focus on increasing my strength, by working with weights and core, stretch and flex sessions. I will still cycle, both in the gym and on the road, but just not as much. Come the new year this focus will switch around, so that cycling takes priority over strength. How long this phase will last will depend on what events I decide to complete. The Magnificat 200km sportive will definitely be one of my events as I under-performed there this year.

I'm still resting well, eating rubbish and enjoying it.

4 comments:

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

Sounds exciting!

Sags said...

I knew it! You are taking up running!

Daz Sharpe said...

my guess is he plans to join Roy at the Alpe d'Huez tri!!!

Cavegirl said...

What Turbo does for the third phase could never be described as 'running'!