NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Tuesday 12 October 2010

The first steps ...

After my successful trip to the pool yesterday I decided I should maintain my enthusiasm by getting on the treadmill again. The point of this exercise was to set my jog and walk speeds to meet my sub 5 hour marathon target. After some trial and error I have settled (at least for the time being) on a jog speed of 10.5kmh and a walk speed of 7kmh (according to the treadmill - will evaluate on a couple of other treadmills and then take it outside!), alternating each for 3.5 minutes at a time. By my calculations this should have me completing the marathon a few seconds under 4 hours and 50 minutes. Even better news was that it was so easy to do.

So that's it, the race strategy is now sorted and up to Christmas I will focus on getting lean again, building strength and doing plenty of core, stretch and flex activities. There will be 2 x 30 min swim sessions per week and 1 hour practising the jog/walk strategy on the treadmill and a long ride (2 - 3 hours) at the weekend. I reckon this will see me into the New Year in the best shape I will have ever been in. The New Year will see formal training resumed, focussing on developing swim endurance at race pace, bike endurance at race pace, and extending the time practising the jog/walk plan. I will also do longer walks (not runs) to get used to being on my feet for a long time; ideally this will happen after my long ride at the weekend to get the benefit of walking with tired(ish) legs.

5 comments:

Cavegirl said...

My how times have changed!

Don't forget what seems easy for 10 mins seems a lot harder after 4 hours LOL!

BTW out of interest, next time you get on the treadmill wear a heart rate monitor and see where your rate is at 10.5 kph ...

Turbo Man said...

I did 20 mins establishing the pace and then 5km in just under 34 mins followed by a warm down, so almost an hour.

Yes, HRM required.

Cavegirl said...

Sounds promising then!

Daz Sharpe said...

Welcome back to the crazy world of tri. Just need to pressure Sags into the IM distance racing now!!

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

Sags might surprise you all this year! Then again, we are talking about Sags here, too scared of IM racing! :-)