NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Sunday 17 October 2010

Dunsfold Sportive

My last event of the year, based at the Top Gear test track at Dunsfold aerodrome. The weather was cold, very cold. My car thermometer was showing -1 as I approached the venue, much colder than I had anticipated but fortunately I had packed a light base layer, arm and leg warmers, and a gilet. Unfortunately I had overlooked winter gloves.

I met up with my ride buddies for the day, Ed and Darren, and we headed off towards the end of the long route queue. We were soon passing people and I was feeling good. I was working hard though, and HR was bouncing around above 160bpm for a large proportion of the time. After about 70km I mentioned to Darren that it felt like I was riding through treacle (not a very pleasant experience!) and I was clearly holding Ed and Darren back. At the last feed stop, with 40km to go, I decided to change to the mid-route and let them ride the final 18km loop without an anchor. I reached the finished, packed the car and enjoyed a nice hot cup of tea.

I had about 40 minutes before Darren and Ed appeared at the finish line that gave me time to take stock of my season. If I'm honest, I reckon I peaked at the New Forest Rattler towards the end of August; this was certainly my best ride. After that it was a struggle to maintain motivation with domestic matters taking a priority and some cumulative fatigue from training for an A race in October. C'est la vie.

Looking ahead, we will hopefully be in our own house by Christmas that will bring plenty of opportunity for practising riding hills. I plan to ride the bike less between now and Christmas and focus on swimming, jog/walking, and SCSF (strength, core, stretch and flex). It will be interesting to see how 2011 pans out.

Rest well folks.

1 comment:

Cavegirl said...

Hey ho buddy, you never know how far is too far till you cross the line!

Enjoy the chill time and excitement with the house.