NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Monday 18 May 2009

Triathlon - Yes, I remember it well...

The Brize Sprint Tri, the first race in the RAF Sprint Series 2009, is in 2 days time. I'm at High Wycombe (again!) tomorrow before heading to Brize for the Committee meeting in the afternoon, so I thought I better do something other than cycling. I haven't swam since 2008 (no, seriously, I haven't) so thought I'd better get wet again. And running? It's a natural action so who needs it. Anyway, back to the swimming, after a short time rehearsing balance and rotation drills I did some technique work. A felt a bit stiff in the shoulders and upper arms but I think it should be OK. Anyway, after 10 minutes or so I was bored so got out of the bath. As for running, well it was raining this morning so I had a quick jog from the car to the office. It's only a sprint so I'm sure all will be just Dandy.

I thought it would be a good idea to get my kit together as well. The bike stuff was easy, although I still haven't got round to setting up the brakes or the gears on PoD yet, so hopefully the Committee meeting won't go on too long (hint, hint Debs!). I had to peel off the Half Ireman sticker from my helmet and remove the number from the number belt. I spent 15 minutes trying to find my swimming goggles; I eventually found a pair that have yellowed with age and I don't have a great deal of faith that they won't leak. I will just cross my fingers and hope. I knew where my trainers were so recovered them from underneath the disused wellies and trainers the kids have grown out of, took them outside and banged them together to remove the dried mud that even the mould had given up on.

All in all some sound preparation for a sprint tri. Now cast your minds back to the first tri you ever did - was your preparation somewhat more meticulous?

Looking forward to catching up with all you triathletes on Tuesday/Wednesday. Hopefully my desertion to RAF Cycling won't be held against me.

No comments: