NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Sunday 31 May 2009

Feeling a bit glum...

It happens to us all occasionally. Domestic and/or work issues mean that training takes a back seat and before you know it your main targets for the season ar eupon you and you are under prepared. That's certainly where I am at the moment and with the Inter Services Sportive due next weekend I had my doubts about being able to cycle 202km. I did 75km today in glorious sunshine but towards the end my legs were letting me know that they had done some work, but the reality was that next weekend we (my legs and I) would have been just over a third of the way through the course. I am really enjoying cycling at the moment, I do it because I enjoy it and it keeps me fit and able to eat and drink almost what I like. It shouldn't be a chore and struggling through 202km next weekend felt like a chore. So I have today e-mailed the organisers and asked them to change me to the 77 mile/124km route. I feel confident of doing this and also that I can do it in a reasonable time. A weight has been lifted.

The other dark cloud is Quelle Challange Barcelona. I know it shouldn't be and if I was just going to get round it wouldn't be. But I've set myself a target and I have my team mates to consider (final make up of the team members still TBC though!) and this is weighing heavy on my shoulders at the moment. Hopefully I can get some good training in over the next few weeks and these clouds will be blown away; I really hope so.

I'm also considering what I want to do next year. The cycling has been great so far this year, just riding for the sake of riding, no pressure to achieve PBs etc and now that I am closer to 50 than 40 then perhaps this is the way forward. I've thought about selling all my kit at the end of the year to fund the purchase of my dream bike (Parlee Z4 if you're interested) and then just riding Sportives and going away for cycling holidays abroad (a bit like Sags recently), maybe even try L'Etape du Tour one year (if I can get an entry). We shall see.


Hopefully the blues will pass soon and the competitive mojo will return.
On a lighter ote, has anyone got this year's cycling tan yet?
Take care folks, and don't forget your sun cream.

7 comments:

Iron Girl said...

Good decision reference the IS Sportive. Go there and enjoy yourself. If you do, all the training blues will be blown away and you'll be motivated all the way to Oct!

jc said...

I'm working on the tan - remember, whatever happens always look good. As to the cycling, I think you may be doing yourself a disservice. Feeling like that is natural in training, whereas on the day, you'll be going like a train.

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

Chin up fella, you'll be just fine. And I might even join you in Barcelona (not for the relay).

Unknown said...

cheer up you miserable sod; get on that turbo and give yourself the thrashing you deserve then enjoy your sportive. you are obviously missing swimming and running???

Reg said...

As I was told by Kelda SAG. Small Achievable Goals, better a ride out than none eh. My mojo is finally coming back to me after a good 3 weeks. Keep at it and we will soon be reading about Barcelona. Good luck. Oh nice bike.

in2triathlon said...

you've changed! Never sell willingly. Buy, buy, buy!

Daz Sharpe said...

cheer up mate, don't give up on tri yet but buy a new bike anyway it always makes you feel good. My tan is great after covering 263 miles in the last six days on the bike!