NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Tuesday 5 May 2009

Training Advice

Different sports, different training requirements.

Since leaving my tri career behind I have been basing my cycle training on what I did when I was also swimming and running, and just planned to do more of it. It occurred to me that perhaps this was a flawed plan and so made contact with Dave Green, the Head Coach of RAF Cycling, for some advice. Oh my, what a change! To start with, I was hugely impressed by his positive attitude and enthusiasm that was clearly evident (even over the phone) and his scientific approach to training. Needless to say I have totally revamped my training plan and drawn a line under what has gone before. I will spend the rest of this week getting back into the routine of training and then do an FTP test this weekend to set my targets for the next 4 week block of training. I will then follow a plan of 3 weeks progressive training with one easier week, re-do the FTP test to set the targets for the next 4 week block. All quite simple really.

I will also be reviewing my planned events for this year, with a view to dropping the sportives and replacing them with 100 mile TTs in July and August.

This is the start of a completely new sporting journey for me, and I am really looking forward to it. Perhaps I need to rename my blog?

3 comments:

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

Names on a postcard to whatsmynewname@turbotastic.com

Sags said...

I see that you have renamed your Blog dude? I may be joining you chap - Sags' Wheely World?

Reg said...

What??????