NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Friday 30 January 2009

End of Tour Report

As I enter my last week here I think I should complete my own End of Tour Report. Without doubt, the summary would be "Could have done better" but there are mitigating circumstances. Based on the knowledge of those who had been here and my previous OOA tours, I reckoned this would be a great opportunity for some winter fitness and it certainly started off on the right foot. I decided to spend the first 8 - 10 weeks doing general conditioning and strength work rather than specific swim, bike, run stuff and I really enjoyed the change of emphasis and was logging some impressive (for me!) training hours per week. However, just before Christmas my workload changed significantly and for a few weeks training was very much on the back burner, so to speak. A week of doing nothing on R&R and I've tried picking it up again but found it reall hard. An average of 9 hours a week is not great but there you go; Que Sera Sera.

I brought my turbo trainer out with me but to be honest I needn't have bothered. The facilities here are really first class and I've done most of my cycling on a spin bike in an aero tuck using a HRM to assess effort, or out-and-about on a very heavy MTB. I'm certainly looking forward to getting back and riding my Litespeed again. I'm also looking forward to stripping down my Dolan TT bike and adding the latest bike bling bits - ceramic bearing bottom bracket, ceramic bearing jockey wheels for the new Ultegra SL rear mech and new 82mm deep front wheel. I've been banned from spending any more money on cycling related stuff by the CinC so I may take a hacksaw to the handlebars and aero bars for a bit of modification there as well! I do, though, have my eye on a new saddle for the sub 5 hour 180km TT effort later in the year. I'm really looking forward to that. 5 hours of averaging 36kmh - on a flat road on a windless day I know I can do that for 1 hour; I know I can do that for 2 hours; I'm pretty sure I can do that for 3 hours; I might be able to do that for 4 hours; but 5 hours??? There's only one way to find out and I will be putting the bike miles in over the next few months. I'm hoping there will be a decent bike commute from my new house to work when I get to Gosport, a minimum of 10 miles each way would be an excellent way of racking up 100 miles a week, even before adding in 2 turbo sessions, a midweek TT and a long, steady weekend ride.

Looking forward to catching up with everyone when I get back to Dear Old Blighty.

1 comment:

Sags said...

The late start to your more intense training should be just what you need T Man. You will be peaking at the right time. . . says me who knows zilch about peaking!

Have a great reunion back home and drop me a line when you can. Be great if you could ride with St Ives. The medium group may be too slow for you though. Either way, if you turn up at any time I will ride with you in what ever group you decide. After last week i need to be in the slow group!