NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Monday 25 April 2011

Tabata

I was up bright and early this morning for another moderate-paced hour on the bike. I then followed this with some 'moving about slowly' by washing both cars. And then tonight it was back to the CrossFit gym for today's WOD - Tabata. A relatively short word but one that can strike fear into the hearts of those who know what it means. The CrossFit Tabata session was 32, yes 32, x 20 seconds effort with 10 seconds rest. The first 8 20 second bursts were pull-ups, followed by 8 intervals each of press-ups, sit-ups and squats. The 'joy' of this session is that 8 intervals of pull-ups leaves your upper body (or at least mine!) exhausted, and when I attempted the first press-up I almost face-planted the mat as my arms and shoulders failed to obey the messages sent by my brain. Needless to say, the press-ups were extremely painful and I was grateful to get to the sit-ups; but not for long. And then the squats, no weights invloved, just body weight, and again by the time the 8th interval arrived I was in some distress. Needless to say, I was grateful when the end came.

With the duathlon on Wednesday I'm not sure what to do tomorrow (Tuesday). I have packed my bike in the car to take to work and if its sunny I will go for an easy 45 minute ride along the coast, if nothing else this will help develop the tan lines!

Looking forward to seeing a few of you on Wednesday; all the best.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

tabata, oh the joy and the pain but x 32! nutter!

Cavegirl said...

If you follow the second link I pointed you to on my last blog post you'll see what some of the tabata sytle sessions are tryinig to achieve. Total exhaustion of all muscle fibres ... you then require an average of 7 days until you repeat in order for all the repair process to take place. In fact 12 minute session once a week is all that is required according to Body by Science!

I eagerly await the Duathlon post :-)

Janne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janne said...

I made tabata timer to help me with my home tabata training. You can download it from tabata timer its free and easy to use cheers!