NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Sunday 24 April 2011

Pros and Cons ...

I made it to the CrossFit gym for an interesting session, but more of that later. On the way there I was reminded how vulnerable cyclists are. As I went round the roundabout to join the M27 from Fareham the exit slipped road was closed, an ambulance with blue flashing lights was blocking the sliproad but it was clearly a cyclist lieing in the road, and it seemed to me that he was lieing exactly where he had landed after the car (or whatever it was) had hit him (I'm putting 2 and 2 together here and it is quite possible it may be adding up to 5). I could see gravel rash on his legs but that seemed to be the least of his problems. I sincerely hope that whoever you are you are OK and make a full and swift recovery.

As for the CrossFit session the requirement was to do 3 lifts and to record the total weight lifted. The lifts and the weight I managed were as follows:

Back squat - 60kg
Shoulder press - 45kg
Deadlift - 110kg

This was the first time I had done this session so there was a bit of trial and error whilst I found my limits. I was happy with my shoulder press and deadlift but thought I should have managed more in the squat, maybe its a technique thing but I'm surprised that I could only squat 15kg more than I could press above my head.

This afternoon I prepared my bike for the forthcoming duathlon. First, though, I had to clean it following the sportive of 2 weeks ago - very bad skills. I swapped the seatpost again after the slipping I experienced last time out, and fitted new pedals. It's ready. But am I?

Its Easter Sunday so we have had the obligatory Easter eggs, but I have been good and am sharing a single egg with Mrs TM, and there will be plenty left over for tomorrow as well.

Tomorrow I ride again! Train smart folks.

2 comments:

Cavegirl said...

Ye Gods you are deadlifting twice what I can and almost twice what I weigh! I wouldn't be squatting though; too many injury issues unless you are being spotted by pros and even then ... amazed they were open on Easter Sunday!

Check out the second link on my blog today, really, really interesting ... I put it early on because I don't expect most of you lot will read more than a couple of paragraphs lol :-)

Turbo Man said...

1 hour 38 minutes - ye Gods you know I have the attention span of a goldfish!

I have been doing lots of 'air squats' and practising the technique with light weights; I am very conscious of avoiding injury.