NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Tuesday 12 April 2011

A bit of this and a bit of that

Not having a major event to train for has been somewhat of a relief, and means I can train more or less as I please. Sunday, for example, I chose to have a lie in, watch the Grand Prix, then have a family trip out enjoying the sunshine and a piece of cake. Monday I was back at the CrossFit gym for a nails session. The WOD called for 10 x 2 reps of 'Press'. Stand with feet close together, barbell on the chest and press straight above your head (remembering to move your face out of the way of the bar as it moves upwards of course!). The idea is that you lift the maximum weight you can manage for 2 reps, and this is very likely to change as the sets progress. After that we agreed that we didn't feel like we had worked out, so decided that we would add a little 'extra', as follows: 3 x (30 kettlebell swings, 30 burpees, 30 sit ups) This was hard, very hard, and brought out the competitive edge in all of us; I thoroughly enjoyed and certainly knew I had worked out afterwards. Tuesday, with the sun shining, I headed out on the bike at lunchtime for a hard 50 minute ride. I had to work hard to get warm as despite the sunshine there was a definite chill in the air. But once warmed up, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Last night I had a night out with some colleagues, no real reason but I thoroughly enjoyed myself, had way too much Guiness and jumped about like a mad thing when the news came through that the Mighty Seagulls had beaten Dagenham & Redbridge and guaranteed themselves promotion. Go Brighton! Today, as you might have guessed, I did no phys!

3 comments:

Cavegirl said...

And all this stressfree lifestyle with your full compliment of rugrats at home. I wish I knew what your secret was ... I guess actually liking your kids is a start!

Turbo Man said...

I don't really know what the secret is. We always sit and have meals together (when the boarders are home) and discuss all sorts of things with them; not sure if this is part of the secret or not. They're nice, bright, intelligent kids although have very different personalities.

Cavegirl said...

We did just that, always ate at the dining table together, discussed all manner of things - and we had bright child but somewhere along the line all was lost - we now have bleached haired, body-studded, multiply-tattooed (poor quality) shop assistant who hangs out in Pool halls. So much for 70 grand of education.

Funny thing - the word verification ... gated!