NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Saturday 28 August 2010

Winterising the Bike - in August!

Is 'Winterising' a word? Probably not but I know what I mean. My package from Wiggle arrived this morning (excellent service as usual) so this morning I set about fitting the bottle cages (easy peasy) and the Crud RoadRacer Mk 2 mudguards (somewhat harder, but certainly not difficult). The rear guard is indeed much longer than the original version (something I'm sure my ride buddies this winter will appreciate) and the extended guard around the front mech (see picture) is a very simple but no doubt effective piece of design.
The bike is ready to ride so I will take it out for an hour or 2 in the morning. After 4 quite intensive weeks of cycling this week has been all about unwinding and recovery, and there is very little in the training diary. The next 2 weeks will be fairly intensive leading up to my final long and hard ride (a 155km hilly sportive) and then it's a 3 week wind down to Challenge Barcelona.
Train smart folks.

3 comments:

Cavegirl said...

We had a fire yesterday afternoon, in August, so you can definitely 'winterise'!

Look forward to reading your hard two weeks training progress LOL!

Sags said...

Nice Cruds! I need some for my winter commute!

Turbo Man said...

When fitting the Crud mudguards I would recommend a spot of glue or simiar on the thumbscrew nuts to keep them from undoing. I lost a couple of the extensions last winter when these screws came undone.

You will understand when you see the mudguards.