NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Sunday 11 July 2010

Week 3 Speed & Power

This week was Week 3 of my speed and power phase and I do believe the positive effects of my training are beginning to reveal themselves. The main session I'm using in this phase is based around 6 minute intervals at 105% of FTP; at my current FTP 105% equates to approx 51kmh. In Week 1 I managed 2 and then 3 intervals during the week, and in Week 3 I managed 4 and then 4 + 2 minutes of a 5th, so my legs are definitely getting stronger. On my long road ride today I felt strong on all the hills, and am regularly riding up hills in the big ring when only a few weeks ago I would drop down into the granny ring. I also managed to sprint up one hill and hit 40kmh on a significant incline (with my HR doing it's best to catch up!). Overall, just under 10 hours of training and almost 280km of bike miles this week. I am VERY pleased with my cycling progress and am really looking forward to The Outlaw. I do, though, need to spend more time out on the road on my TT bike, getting used to the handling characteristics of the TT position and the deep front wheel.

Rest well folks (go and read Frank's blog if you haven't already!).

3 comments:

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

Are you going to be including any race pace sessions into your longer rides?

Cavegirl said...

The PB way is to not do so, you do long rides at 75% or less of your max heart rate and then during other sessions do the 95% intervals (as Mick says above). I've been following this protocol as well and took 2.5 mins off my 10 tt time.

I'm Sure Turbo will answer but most of his long rides have had some 'work' on an ad hoc basis but not specific 'conventional' planned intervals of race pace. That would be chronic cardio (aka threshold high carb burn).

Of course riding Sportives every month or so provides a 'breakthrough' stimulus - Mark talks about this in his book.

K

Turbo Man said...

Sorry for the late reply. The weekend long rides are more fartlek than even paced efforts. I ride with some mates and there is the usual efforts up hills and we always end with a 15 minute 'wind-up' ending in a full on sprint. I then have an easy 30 mins spin home after that. I'm afraid I'm not disciplined enough to do long steady efforts, even if I wanted to. I'm afraid it's all about enjoyment at the moment; I will see how The Outlaw goes and then decide whether I need to change anything or carry on as I am. I must say I have never enjoyed cycling as much as I have this year. It really has been great fun.