NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Thursday 29 July 2010

Now where did I put the ...

It's almost August and I'm only just preparing for my first race of the year. I've done a few sportives that are fairly relaxed affairs but next week is The Outlaw long distance (for that read Ironman distance) event, a proper race if you like. And it's not just me I have to be responsible for either; as part of a relay team there are 2 team mates that mean I need to prepare properly and do the best I can on the day. It's also a practice run for my main event of the year, the Challenge Barcelona relay in October. I have therefore spent the past few days trying to find all the essential kit I will need, and buying bits and bobs to ensure I have everything. The obvious things: nutrition bars and gels, puncture repair kit and spare tub. And the not so obvious: the disk wheel adaptor for the gas cannister and essential 3rd hand (a cut down wine cork!), pliers (to ensure the valve extension is on tight - the front wheel needs an extension the disk doesn't, so the spare tub extension is only on finger tight) etc. And then there's the need to consider the weather; arm warmers, leg warmers, gloves and/or mitts. Where are they all? And then I had to fit the new visor to my aero helmet. Not too difficult and its another job ticked off and I can now ride without sunglasses which helps with my vision when down on the tribars.
I'm actually really looking forward to the race and hoping our team can put in a good performance and maybe even beat the RAF relay team's time from Barcelona last year - 9:54:36. Looking at the courses I suspect the Outlaw swim to be a faster course, although a 1000 athlete mass start will probably mean the MOPers and BOPers to be slower due to congestion. The Outlaw bike course has a lot more climbing than the Barcelona course (but let's be honest, the average flyover over the A1 has more climbing than the Barcelona course) and so should be slower. I managed 5:17:43 for the bike at Barcelona last year although I suffered from poor pacing and nutrition and had a very painful and slow period from about mile 85 to mile 100. The runs on both courses are flat so should be about equal for pace. I doubt that Nottingham will get close to the temperature we experienced in Barca last year, so that should be much more comfortable and make it less likely to suffer from dehydration issues. Will we beat 9:54:36? I actually believe we will. By how much? I don't know, perhaps 15 to 20 minutes, maybe 25. We shall see.
There are a number of RAF athletes racing so best of luck to you all.

1 comment:

Cavegirl said...

Well I shall nail my colours to the mast now and say I'm gunning for a 1:05 swim - I've been sprinting this week so hopefully can get ahead of the worst of the rabble; not sure I've done a mass start of that size before!

You around 5 hours so perhaps a 9:45 on the cards - no pressure Si LOL!

You have a short memory, the Barcelona bike course had some inclines you know! Notably quite a pull up to the descent (ie there must have been a up) that swooped down to the turn roundabout, you know the one, where you picked up the Pro pace line last year ...