NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Saturday 24 July 2010

A New PB!

How do you test your progress?

As regular readers will know I test myself by doing a 40km turbo TT; my reasoning is that this test is within a controlled environment and is repeatable. The time is immaterial in itself as it doesn't correlate to a road TT time, but if I get quicker in this test then I know I am improving.

A quick recap; in Jan 10 I set the benchmark for the year with an unremarkable 61.34 mins for the test, but just a week later this came down to 57.46. Better, but still some way short of my overall PB of 50.33. Things progressed and on 13 May I recorded a 50.48 that I was very pleased with; almost at my PB level and nearly 5 months still to go to my 2010 A race. But I knew that the gains would now become harder to come by, and my move to a Primal Blueprint way of training meant I was heading into the unknown as far as improvements were concerned. Would the Primal way deliver the results?

With 2 weeks to go to The Outlaw I decided I needed to test myself, to give me the confidence that I was progressing and could head to The Outlaw assured that my legs were in good shape. To be honest, I didn't feel that fresh this morning, and as I started my warm up I wasn't sure I would be able to sustain the required effort for some 50 minutes. But I pressed on regardless.

I could bore you with the details, but I'll cut straight to the chase. Today I SMASHED my 40km turbo TT PB, and set the new level at 49.24 - that's 48.58kmh if you're wondering - beating my previous best by a whopping 1 minute and 9 seconds and showing an increase in average power of 6 watts. Pleased doesn't come close to expressing how I feel about this result; I am totally over the moon chuffed. Now add in the fact that I am now sub 70kg and I think it's fair to say that I am in the best shape of my life.

All I need to do now is get my nutrition and pacing strategies right - and how hard can that be?

All the best folks. Race hard, train smart and rest easy.

9 comments:

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

Nice work "big" fella!

Unknown said...

looking good; just keep that testosterone under control on race day!

Sags said...

Awesome Mick! Well don Mr Cyclist! As Roy says, control on race day and sub 5 is on for you.

Turbo Man said...

Thanks guys. You're right, pacing and nutrition on the day will be key now. Ignore everything else and just ride my own race. What could be easier?

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

What could be easier? Getting caught up in a paceline and blowing up at the 120km point? ;-)

Turbo Man said...

What fool would do that?

Oh yes ... :-)

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

Beats me?????? ;-)

Cavegirl said...

Don't worry guys I will be there at the roundabout to remind him every lap not to blow the awesome swim I'm going to do, LOL!

There is also a the Primal BBQ feast on offer at the end as an incentive :-)

It's great to see the fruits of your work isn't it!

Turbo Man said...

Oh yes.