NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Sunday 18 July 2010

Bikes in Bits!

I spent yesterday getting the Planet X up and running; the new stem arrived on Friday so that was fitted, brake and gear cables cut to size, brakes set up, gears cabled up (setting up gears is one thing I have never mastered), chainset 'borrowed' from my Litespeed and fitted, chain cleaned and fitted. And with a suitable gear selected I took it for a spin round the block. Seems OK; will need a hard run before I draw any proper conclusions though.

So the Planet X is almost roadworthy. The Litespeed is 'sans chainset' so not roadworthy. PoD is set up and ready to ride but I need to put some training wheels on and swap the brake blocks so I can rack up some mileage over the next 3 weeks before The Outlaw. The turbo bike is still in good order though!

My trusty Scott frameset will soon be ready to go on ebay; this bike has many good memories for me as it was the first proper bike I bought when I decided to take up triathlon some 9 years ago, and it has seen me through my first sprint, standard and middle distance races as well as many miles of training. It's proved itself fast and comfortable for an all alloy bike although I did swap the forks for some carbon ITM Millenium ones that certainly helped. But there is no place for sentimentality. I need the space so it has to go.

Today the sporting focus shifts to Mrs TM and our daughter, as they are participating in the Portsmsouth Race for Life 5km event. I'm acting as driver, bottle holder and photographer (and most likely Chief Ice Cream Eater!). I'm looking forward to it.

All the best.

No comments: