NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Friday 28 May 2010

Retul Bike Fit

14 May - Frank and a mate visit Andy at Bike Science for a TT bike fit and are impressed with the results. See here: http://whittlestriworld.blogspot.com/2010/05/my-retul-bike-fit-by-bike-science.html

18 May - Kelda visits Andy's Bike Science 'Surgery' in Rotherham and is impressed with the results. See here: http://grokgirl.blogspot.com/2010/05/phew-what-few-days.html

19 May - Mmmmmm, both Frank and Kelda appear to have noticed significant improvements in power output/lower HR/comfort etc etc following a trip to Bike Science. Is this 'free speed'? Only one way to find out, and that was to book a session with Andy Sexton at Bike Science and see what he could do for me. See here: http://www.bike-science.com/

28 May - A day of leave and a trip to Bristol. In the car I have my trusty Litespeed road bike and PoD, my TT bike. In preparation for today's session I had ripped off the number from QCB09; I really should ride my TT bike more!

I arrived at 1130 and Andy was just finishing off another customer (another RAF guy as it turned out, although I didn't know that until later and didn't recognise him). I unpacked the bikes and assembled them and then changed into my cycling kit ready for the set-up sessions. However, before I got on the bike Andy talked through my history and aspirations and ran through a number of flexibility tests (I'm a bit lop-sided as a result of an anterior cruciate replacement many years ago but not bad for an 'Old Git' apparently (although Andy was far too polite to actually say that!)). And then it was on to the bike.

First up was my Litespeed road bike. To start with, Andy looked at my cleat position, and once this was sorted we worked through saddle height, saddle fore/aft position, saddle angle, bar height and bar angle. As each one changed the effect on the others was assessed. All in all a very thorough assessment. The net result was that my position has changed MASSIVELY; saddle height is up 4+cm, bars up up to the maximum my forks will allow plus the stem is upturned. F-ugly I know but if it works ... etc. I need to ride it and see how it is on the road. If it's good then I will need to seriously consider a new frame for my 2011 plans.

And then it was time for my TT bike. To start with there were a few decisions made from the information I had provided. The races I will be doing on PoD in 2010 are The Outlaw (flat-ish) and Quelle Challenge Barcelona (pancake flat) so Andy decided that we could be quite aggressive when determining the settings for PoD. As a result, the saddle went up a lot. So much in fact that I need to buy a new seatpost! And at the other end, the bars went down, so the net result is HOOOGE!

The important thing, though, is that with all the changes they felt 'different', but not 'uncomfortable' or 'I can't ride that'. And even in the 15 seconds that Andy measured the position it had started to feel better. At the end of the session, that had lasted nearly 4 hours, I felt good. I was aware that both my bike positions had changed significantly but that anecdotal evidence from others would suggest that this would be for the better. Time will tell. Bottom line is that I thought this session was well worth the effort and expense. The proof, of course, will be in the power figures my turbo trainer gives me in the week's ahead.

In the meantime, I'm off to e-bay to get a new seatpost!

All the best folks; train smart.

3 comments:

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

Let us know how the fit feels once you've tried it in anger, I'd be interested in the results.

I think the guy before you was Andy Pearce, works at Saints as a civvy.

Cavegirl said...

Your glutes are going to feel it into your lower back, I know my have with the increased saddle height but I bet you like it after a while of adjustment!

Several of my mates here are thinking of going too now, Andy is going to be very busy me thinks!

Turbo Man said...

I've just ordered a new seatpost for my Litespeed but in my garage I have found a USE Alien Triathlon seatpost of sufficient length - RESULT! Saved me a bundle of cash! I will, of corse, report my findings in due course.