NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Sunday 28 March 2010

The Long Rides Are Getting Longer ...

A great ride this morning. I had to ride Sunday rather than Saturday this week as my daughter had dance exams on Saturday. It was great to go along and watch her dance; the confidence they have to stand up and perform in front of a crowd is just amazing. Some of the kids were just awesome dancers as well.

Anyway, back to cycling. The weather forecast for Sunday earlier in the week had been rubbish, but today it was mild and we stayed dry, although the wind did pick towards the end it never seemed to reach the forecast 15mph. I wore normal cycle mitts for the first time this year and my fingers didn't fall off - Spring is definitely here. It was a tough route; over Portsdown Hill and onto the Southern Sportive route including the climb past Ditcham Park School before cutting off the top of the sportive route and going through East Meon and up the side of Old Winchester Hill before heading home. It was a really enjoyable ride and as a group of 4 there was plenty of chance to chat and let the miles roll by. The P*ncture Fairy paid me a visit but I was the only one in the group to suffer from that today. Overall, a 4 hour 20 min ride and 110km covered. I rode with a HR monitor for the first time in years and look forward to analysing the detail from the ride (when I can work out how to get the computer off the bike!).

This finished off another good week. 9 hours 25 minutes of training including 270km on the bike; my average weekly bike mileage is now 186km/116 miles. I'm still tweaking my training programme to include lessons learned from the changes I've made to my lifestyle of late, and once this settles down I will let you know.

Train smart folks.

2 comments:

Iron Girl said...

That's 2 trails for your new lifestyle Turbo - my anticipation is mounting!

Turbo Man said...

It's new for me and I need to be convinced it's right before I lay myself bare in public. I've been 'changed' for 3 weeks now and the initial impressions are very positive (although I'm not 100% committed yet). All in good tme, all in good time.