NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Sunday 7 March 2010

Another Week Goes By

on the journey towards my 2 Ironman distance relay races. As mentioned in my previous post, this week has been compromised by work commitments that had me travelling and stuck in a lecture room for 2 days. And then on Friday we went round to friends for dinner and had a most enjoyable and relaxing evening. Unfortunately I was not very 'alcohol aware' and and overdid the red wine and woke up with a raging hangover and was somewhat ill. I also did something I haven't done for a very long time and stayed in bed until 4.30pm. I then managed a one hour walk with the dog before hitting the sofa again.

What I'm leading up to is that once again a week has gone by with a few good sessions but nowhere near the volume I want. I was up bright and early this morning for a ride with Coastal Controller; fortunately he was better prepared today and we manged a little over 2 hours together, and I clocked up 2:43 by the time I got home. On the positive side, we didn't get wet today, on the minus side it was chuffing cold, with frozen rivers of ice across otherwise clear roads. I lost the feeling in my toes after about an hour but a long soak in a hot bath when I got home made it all worthwhile. What another low volume week means, though, is that my average cycle mileage this year has just dropped under 100 miles per week.

Here's hoping the weather warms up soon. Train smart folks.

3 comments:

Iron Girl said...

That's why I like your blog Turbo- a real mix of serious training and the realities of life

Coastal Controller said...

Cheers for today. I'm going to start tapering for our weekend rides :)

Turbo Man said...

Nice to see you here Debs. The work - life - training balance is the Holy Grail of AGers. Fortunately in March I can still chill out as my A race isn't until October.

My dear Coastal, the mileage/pain level is going to have to go up a few notches I fear - you are running out of weeks. We need to schedule a few of 70 milers and a couple of Centuries as well. And when the pace goes up you're supposed to hang on to my wheel! :-)