NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Thursday 11 March 2010

Cadence

I promised you something on cadence some time ago, and here it is. Nothing earth shattering and no panacea for any cycling woes you may have. But hopefully it will give you some food for thought and maybe try something different and see what happens.

There has been much debate on any number of cycling forums about what is the correct pedalling cadence. The truth is, there is no specific cadence that will be right for everybody, you just have to work it out for yourself. Based on my limited knowledge of physiology I believe that if you have skinny legs but big lungs then you can spin a faster cadence, but if you are big and powerful then a slower cadence may suit you better. A bit like Lance Armstrong and Jan Ullrich; both excellent time triallists and usually finishing within a few seconds of each other but their pedalling cadences were vastly different. Armstrong with his large lung capacity spinning away against the powerful legs of Ullrich pushing a big gear. The results were very close but the journey was significantly different. So why have I joined the debate? Recently, a friend mentioned that their coach of the time had said that Chrissie Wellington (CW) had won the Kona IM World Champs at an average cadence of 66rpm. Blimey, I thought, that is very low. The next time I was on the turbo I put the bike in the biggest gear (53 x 12) and pedalled at 66rpm. 35.8kmh. Mmmm, CW averaged just under 38kmh at Kona so if the claim was true she must have been pushing a 53 x 11 all the way round. Now take in to consideration the CW herself described the wind on the return leg as 'brutal' and you begin to see the tale unravelling. So I hit the internet and, unsurprisingly, Slowtwitch came up with a whole thread on the subject of CW's cadence at Kona. Blimey (again!), is it really such a hot topic? Anyway, after reading a number of posts arguing high v low cadence and CW this v CW that, the truth came out. No-one knew what CW's average cadence at Kona was for the very simple reason that she didn't have a cadence meter on her bike! I guess when you do as many miles as CW you just 'know' what is right. I was concerned, though, that a professional coach would use such a quote without first checking its validity, but hey ho, who am I to question such things.

So where do I stand on the cadence debate? If you have a turbo trainer it can be very useful to experiment with different cadences and see how each feels. Use a power meter, HRM or any other measuring device to see how you are feeling actually impacts on performance. For example, I found that my HR dropped by a few beats if I put the bike in a gear and span at my usual cadence (about 92/93 rpm) but then shifted up one (harder) gear and let the cadence drop until the speed matched the previous gear. Not very scientific but these are the sort of things you can do on a turbo. Occasionally I shut my eyes (this one is best done only on the turbo!) and spin for a few minutes seeking that 'sweet spot' feeling. When I find it I open my eyes and check the cadence; I'm not usually surprised. I do know, though, from experience, that if my cadence drops significantly (and by that I mean low 80s or lower) then my power drops away very quickly. This is the main reason why I have a compact chainset on my road bike as it allows me to maintain my cadence up all but the very steepest of hills without wearing my legs out too much. Yes, I can drag my sorry a** up a steep hill using a 53/39 chainset with a 12-23 cassette but at the top my legs are much fresher using a compact and I can push on over the top, rather than having to spend a few minutes recovering.

So there are my unscientific thoughts on the cadence debate. I'm interested in the views of others, especially those who use much lower cadences than 'the norm'.

6 comments:

in2triathlon said...

Nice post mate.

My take on it is that you are most efficient (energy vs power trade off) at certain cadences depending on the power you are trying to put out, and Ulrich/Armstrong are outliers muddying the waters (as role models they are very attractive to follow but shouldn't be).

Hence my RoT thumb is dependent of FTP.

If I were doing a 10M TT at 100% FTP+ then cadence = 110+rpm
25M TT 95-105rpm
50M TT 90ish rpm
100M TT 80-85rpm
IM Bike Leg 75-85rpm

It's all about portioning out your energy reserves. Hence

It's easier to hold a low cadence at low% FTP (Ulrich-like). Hence IM ride where you don't want to burn energy.

It's easier to hold a high cadence at a high %FTP (Armstrong-like). Sprint Tri where burning through your energy won't cause you to bonk (well you might! :-) ).

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Neill

Cavegirl said...

Mm, me being that friend who USED to have a professional coach! LOL! Actually I did ask serveral times where he got the information after you'd queried it with me, and never had a response, funny old thing.

Well, I've been doing some experimenting of my own these last few weeks now I'm flying solo. I've found, as in2tri has just said it depends on the scenario. When I rode my 30 mins the other week to work out my FTP I found myself much nearer the 90 mark than when I've sat for hour after after holding long threshold intervals where my cadence could fall to around 70 and sometimes a little below.

What I have noticed on the last two rides where I've gone out with my friends that I'm riding around 80, sometimes 85, but usually nearer the 80 mark, unless of course I'm sprinting to catch up with them when it rises to around 95 as a rule, for me 80-85 seems to be my 'sweet spot' certainly for longer rides. Be interesting to see what I ride for the 10 I do later in the year.

BTW I rode Roth with an average of 80 (137 watt average) not sure about Barcelona as I've just noticed the files for that were on the laptop which had to be rebuilt, bother! I think it was around 80 again though if memory serves (132 watts).

I noticed on Tuesday when doing my turbo holding 140 or less hr that my heart rate dropped when in the tuck position, but I do find it harder on the legs effort wise which seems a bit weird, may be just don't spend enough time down on the bars to get used to it.

Turbo Man said...

I forgot to mention in my post that CW's old coach (Brett Sutton) apparently advocates 'no more than 84rpm' for IM bike legs, and that certainly fits in with Neill's comments. Is he nicking your ideas Neill?

in2triathlon said...

Yeah. I wish Brett would stop hiding in my Turbo Dungeon. Mind you Chrissy is allowed in the Dungeon if she needs any tips on how to improve her cadence. I also have powermeter she can use.

Cavegirl said...

I bet you do Neill ;-)

Out of interest, my ride yesterday 2:55 alone on a hilly and very windy route produced 73 for the cadence, I felt comfortable all the way around.

Cavegirl said...

Just to complete the experiment ... today on the hard, high watts 105% turbo aka 10 mile tt pace my cadence was 88-90!