NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Thursday 18 March 2010

Excited and Motivated

I ditched my planned turbo session tonight. Doesn't sound like I'm very excited or motivated but I am. The reason I ditched my session was because I wanted to work on my Litespeed and get it sufficiently bolted together so that I can take it to the bike shop this weekend for final cabling and setting up. I fitted new tyres and inner tubes, bottom bracket, chainset, front and rear mechs, brakes, and adjusted the saddle so its roughly in the right place. The bike is looking really sweet and I am so looking forward to riding it this year. The first event will be 83 miles of the New Forest Spring Sportive on 18 April but I need to get out for a couple of shakedown rides on it beforehand to check the set up etc. And being a weight weenie I will weigh the bike when it's finished; in theory it should be comfortably under 17 pounds. And take some photos of course.

To take advantage of a lightweight bike you need to be a lightweight yourself, and I'm glad to say that I'm making really good progress in this respect. I will provide a detailed report of how I've achieved this in due course.

Train smart folks; spring is just about here.

4 comments:

Cavegirl said...

That was the best possible 'training' to do yesterday, something that motivated and excited you. It's what I tried to explain to Sags the other day, for more on being a weight weenie see my blogpost today :-)

Sags said...

Nice work slacker. . . . I mean sensible man 8-)

Turbo Man said...

Just back from delivering the Litespeed to the bike shop; should be ready early next week.

Jonny and I have a big ride tomorrow; unfortunately the weather forecast doesn't look too good.

Sags said...

Rain and more rain 8-(