NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Wednesday 2 June 2010

Training Advice Required Please

Training is going very well at the moment; my FTP is currently back to the same level as my 2009 peak, and I still have 4 months to go until my A race. I'm currently in the middle of a BIG week of training and this will lead into an easier week next week culminating in the 200km Magnificat sportive. After that will be a recovery week and then I have a 6-week block of training before The Outlaw IM-distance triathlon relay. And it's with this block of training that I need some help please.

So after 23 weeks of base and build I want to add some top end speed and speed/endurance. I'd like some suggestions as to what sessions are recommended and what sort of gains I can expect. I'm a bit beyond 'do some intervals' type of advice and would like an idea of a programme to follow for the 6 weeks. My thoughts are:

Monday - Rest & Recovery
Tuesday - 6 x 6 mins @ 105% FTP (total session time 68 mins)
Wednesday - 60 mins sub 140bpm (75%MHR)
Thursday - 6 x 6 mins @ 105% FTP
Friday - Rest & Recovery
Saturday - Long road ride (2 - 3 hours easy)
Sunday - Long road ride (2 - 3 hours moderate with some hill/sprint intervals)

I don't follow the 'build for 3 weeks recover for 1 week' philosophy and will train on 'feel', so if I am tired I will skip a session. I also feel that as this block will be more intense then I will need more rest (I'm not exactly getting any younger!). So, fellow bloggers, let me have your thoughts.

5 comments:

Cavegirl said...

That looks good to me although you may need to do a shorter weekend ride if fatigue is an issue.

If you really push the 6 x 6 mins that's where you'll get your top end gain which will drag your zones up and you should be able to see progression in your test 40 k TT. When working longer rides you need to be strict with working in the 70-80% zone and no more, keeping it at 70% and not lower for most of the time this will maintain the base endurance you have built up and should push your aerobic thresholds up from the bottom.

Turbo Man said...

The weekend easy ride was going to be me on my own to ensure I train within the zone. The moderate ride would be with my training buddies so would be more of a fartlek/interval session.

Cavegirl said...

Given your buddy ride will be much harder to control effort-wise it might be worth considering only doing that every 2nd or third week rather than every week as that is where the fatigue issues might build up.

Mark recommends those kinds of rides every 2-3 weeks to allow for some breakthroughs and fun but without falling into the Chronic Cardio zone on a regular basis.

K

Turbo Man said...

Thanks K, I'll consider that. But, it is one of the highlights of my cycling week, really good fun and that, to me, is why I do this. Perhaps I should swap a 6 x 6 turbo session for this ride?

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

You're right T-Man, remember why we do this, it's meant to fun and something we look forward to. When it becomes a chore it's time to re-assess. Sub 5 this year!!!