NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Wednesday 23 June 2010

The Next Phase

With 7 weeks to go to The Outlaw I have moved in to a 6-week block of speed and power training. In theory this takes me too close to the race but as The Outlaw is a 'B' race on my calendar this year I'm not too concerned. I will have a week's taper before the event and although my body won't have fully absorbed the training and adapted I hope to at least be rested and turn in a decent performance. I have little idea of how my swim and run partners are doing so I trust all is well with them; I guess I will find out when we meet up at Registration the day before.

I would like to thank those of you who provided me wth comments a couple of weeks ago with training advice, some of which was particularly detailed.

Training this week has so far consisted of some sub 140bpm work, my first 6 x 6 @ 105% FTP session (although I didn't manage 6 reps!) and a very enjoyable turbo this evening that consisted of 10 minutes at 32, 34, 36, 38, 36, 34 & 32kmh. Max HR was 146 (78% of MHR) so I'm content with where I am starting this phase from. For the rest of the week I have another 6 x 6 @ 105% FTP session planned for Thursday evening and then a 4.5 hour rideon Saturday morning. I will also fit in 2 x 1 hours at sub 140bpm sessions as well. Saturday night is the Summer Ball so Sunday will be my rest day this week.

There have been some good results from Bloggers of late, and one Mad Fool has completed the Ride Across Britain. Train smart, race hard, and recover well folks!

2 comments:

Cavegirl said...

All sounds very positive. Enjoy the Ball - the idea that Sunday could be anything other than a rest day, LOL!

The Mad Fool

Sags said...

Nice structured training my old friend. Hope you go well at the outlaw. A good ride there would boost your confidence for the barca' adventure (pro peleton and al that!).

Watch out for paul Fullalove at the outlaw. He is going very well. he rode 23:00 at the sawtry evening club 10 yesterday. It beat my 23:01 - every dog has his day!!