NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Sunday 17 January 2010

This Surprised Me

Last Sunday I struggled through 10 x 30 secs flat out 4 mins recovery and in the last interval I was unable to maintain my max cadence. However, today, I did the same session and was able to push through every rep and maintained a minimum of 120rpm for the whole 30 seconds of all 10 reps. As a bonus, at the end of 10 reps I felt like I could have done more. It surprised me that after just one week I am already feeling much stronger and cycling harder - result!

I also need to clarify something about this session. I use the word 'recovery' to describe the 4 mins but it is not easy spin recovery, I do these at 75% FTP or what I would consider to be a reasonable power output for a 2 hour+ road ride. The session then makes more sense. If you are riding at your 2-hour + pace and you then overload your system by doing 30 secs absolutely flat out then I can understand how physiological changes may result.
Changing the subject completely, we went to see Avatar in 3D yesterday. I won't give away any of the plot but we thoroughly enjoyed it; its a long film though so be prepared. We were armed with a GIANT diet coke, toblerone, mini Creme Eggs and Cadbury's Whole Nut although an emergency toilet would also have been useful!

2 comments:

Sags said...

6199773All that junk food dude!!!! No wonder you rode well! Will the results be the same as you hunk all the lard up the road though?!! 8-)

Turbo Man said...

I actually lost weight last week as well! Not much, but I'm in credit in respect of the calories in/calories out equation. I do need to be more disciplined though, I know that. Training is easy; avoiding chocolate is chuffing hard! :-)