NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Monday 25 January 2010

2 Steps Forward 1 Step Back

After 2 good weeks to start my 2010 campaign Week 3 was a bit of a disaster from a training perspective. I'm not injured or sick, its just some of the other things that we amateur athletes have to do in our lives came together in a block. These things happen and I'm not downhearted about it.

First up, on Tuesday night was Mrs Turbo Man's birthday and as we all know it is more than our lives are worth to miss that! On Wednesday it was a colleague's Stag do and as I have the breaking strain of a kit kat I was completely unable to limit myself to just a couple of shandies. Consequently Thursday was written off with the most monumental hangover. Friday we were in the car driving to the same colleagues wedding that took place on Saturday. Yes, lots more good food and plenty of Guiness. Sunday we visited some good friends and although no alcohol was consumed there was a rather good selection of cakes available. I am weak.

Not to worry, I'm back on the turbo at the start of Week 4 and things are looking up. I have a couple of very busy weeks at work that may prevent me training at lunchtimes so I will just do what I can when I can. Jonny Briggs phoned today and hopefully we will be getting out on the road this weekend, something I am really looking forward to.

Train smart folks.

No comments: