NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Friday 1 January 2010

Happy New Year ...

... to my fellow bloggers.

I gave in this morning and went on the turbo for 40 minutes. I had said that training for 2010 would not start until 2 Jan as I fully expected to wake up today with a hangover, but after a pleasant lie in and a walk along the beach with our dog I felt good and disappeared off to the garage for a quick session. Nothing spectacular but having worked out my power requirements for QCB in October I thought it would be amusing to see if I could hit the targets now. The answer was, unsurprisingly, no! I have set my FTP target at 340 Tacx watts and so need to sustain 360 watts for the 30-minute test; I managed 2 x 2 minutes this morning. Clearly I have some work to do. Tomorrow is the first 40km turbo TT of the year; these will be a regular Saturday morning feature of my training programme this year with every 4th week (the recovery week) being done at 38kmh. Yes, the time it takes to complete this test will be the same but I expect my average HR to reduce over the course of the year.

My Litespeed build is currently stalled while I wait for some frame protectors to arrive from Parkers; should be here in the next day or so. The frame protectors go on the cables so I need to fit them when doing the cable work, hence the delay. I can't believe I have so recklessly added some 50g to the weight of my bike with these protectors; I will have to find some way of shaving that from somewhere else!

4 comments:

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

Happy New Year dude, have a great year, ease back into training, then hit it hard later! ;-)

Sags said...

Shave your legs dude. That will get you your 50g back 8-)

Turbo Man said...

Thanks for the comments - LOL! The family have all had sore throats and colds over Christmas except for me - until today. I woke up with sandpaper in my throat and so skipped the session. I'm feeling better now so might try and make up for it this evening. We shall see. What a pants way to start the New Year training regime.

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

Give it a miss today mate, recover well and perhaps give it a go tomorrow.