NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Tuesday 7 June 2011

Pre Race Taper

Ho ho ho, haven't done that for a while, and guess what? I haven't done it this time either!

I'm participating in a sprint distance triathlon tomorrow (I won't say racing as that might attract the Trades Description people!) and back in my racing days I would have tapered towards the event, reducing my training load to ensure optimum performance on race day. Well those days are now behind me and I'm really looking forward to catching up with a few mates and enjoying the event for what it will be - a fun day out of the office doing something that I will (hopefully) enjoy in the great British sunshine (am I asking too much?).

In preparation I hit the CrossFit gym tonight, the WOD was not too bad:

50 Wall Balls
40 Double Unders (or 120 normal skipping)
30 Kettlebell Swings (note to self, not all black kettlebells weigh the same - check first. By golly the one I chose was heavy!)
20 Weighted Lunges
10 Box Jumps

This was good, but it didn't take very long and so we added another session on the end:

1 x 1 mile run, followed by AMRAP of 'Ground to Overhead' to take overall time up to 12 minutes. I completed the run in 6:08 and then added 56 lifts in the 12 minutes - by heck that was hard work.

On the way home we stopped off and collected dinner - chicken breasts and fillet steak on bed of green salad with some chopped carrots and red onions. And our eldest lad is about to prepare primal pancakes with greek yoghurt and a variety of berries. Delicious.

See (some of) you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

see you in the morning
my taper was a brick this morning and a swim tonight? just a training race...