NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Wednesday 19 January 2011

Quick Update

Last week I clocked up 4.5 hours of training, so a big improvement on the 50 minutes of the week before! This week has started well and I should clock up another improvement this week. The weight loss seems to be going well, in that I no longer feel like a bloated puffer fish and there appears to be less around the middle. But the scales are all over the place, providing encouragement one morning and a kick in the ***** the next. What's that all about?

My back is feeling better but rather than rush back and risk a relapse I will not start swimming and weights until next Monday. I have re-introduced the jogging into this weeks routine with no ill effects so hopefully the back injury is now behind me (geddit? LOL!).

My Planet X wheels departed last night. We had some good times together and some painful ones, but at the end it was time to go our separate ways rather than leave them lonely and unloved on the garage wall. They had already been replaced by the younger, more svelte and (dare I say it?) more lovely Hed Ardennes so there was really no option but to allow them to leave. With their shallow rims the Heds will also look fantastic on a classic style steel frame ... (hold that idea for a while!).

On the domestic front, our eldest son has expressed an interest in joining the Royal Marines. There are mixed feelings in the household about this; on one hand we feel this would be an excellent opprtunity for him, would develop him as an individual and give him skills and experiences that would benefit him for the rest of his life. On the other hand, it can be bloody dangerous and as parents that concerns us. He is, though, 17 now and bright enough to think it all through for himself and make the appropriate decision.

1 comment:

Cavegirl said...

Good steady progress T Man. I find my back problems are always behind me :-)

As for RM, let him make the decisions, find the information etc. If he's really keen he'll do all the donkey work himself and start a fitness programme as well.

We found that trying to be helpful was the worst possible thing. Sometimes stepping back is the best response.

Having parents leap up and down expressing concern about the danger will a) provide a great boost to his self-importance (they adore me, they don't want me hurt) and b) provide a lever to be used against you - if you don't let me do x, y, z, I'll go join the RM!

You have to learn the rule book and trust me it's different from the one we grew up with!