NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Thursday 20 January 2011

First Run Benchmark Set

As you all know, I'm not a great runner. Or even a good runner. In fact, I barely consider myself a runner at all. So today was the day that I would set my benchmark 5km time that would set me out as a runner. Or at least a future runner. Or runner to be. Or whatever; I think you'll understand.

So, 5km in 30.27 is the benchmark I set myself. Yes, you read that right. 5km (that's 5km, not 10!) in 30 minutes and 27 seconds. To give you the whole picture, I was using my jog/walk strategy at my marathon distance pace but using 4 min jog/1 min walk. At least I know I can knock a few minutes off this without too much difficulty. I want to do the Inter-Services duathlon in April so need to develop some run speed before then, if only to ensure I don't finish the first run dead last!

Train smart folks.

5 comments:

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

You've to start somewhere T-Man, good start, see you at the IS duathlon hopefully.

Cavegirl said...

Are you using the run/walk at the duathlon?

Exrunner!

Sags said...

There is no hope 8-)

Seriously, keep your eye on the goal chap because I agree with your IM strategy

Daz Sharpe said...

It'll come back soon sub 25 at the duathlon!

Unknown said...

i would love to be able to run/walk?
stay fit young turbo!