NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Sunday 15 February 2009

"Come Dine With Me" and "Bike Stuff"

Have you seen the "Come Dine With Me" programme? Well this week we (as in me and the 3 kids, Mrs Turbo Man said she didn't need to join in as she cooks every day!) have decided that we would all take a turn at preparing a 3-course meal and we would judge it accordingly. Today was my turn and after a bit of a panic over the menu (including a desperate appeal on TriTalk for simple to prepare menus) I decided on the following:

Starter - Big mushrooms with prosciutto and parmesan cheese with a green leaf salad and shredded carrot.

Main course - Lemon and tarragon chicken with new potatoes, brocoli, peas and carrots with a garlic butter, tarragon and white wine sauce.

Dessert - Strawberries and bananas with Cornish fresh cream ice cream.

So how did it go? Well, apart from timings (there was about an hour gap between starter and main course!) the preparations went OK. However, it all started to go horribly wrong when I served the main course. I put the potatoes and sauce on the dining table and asked Mrs Turbo Man to take the chicken through. Somehow, in placing the chicken on the table, my lovingly prepared sauce was spilled all over the table. And I mean all over. Cue massive sense of humour failure! :-)

Anyway, we recovered from that and the food itself was really good; I'm sure the sauce would have been the piece do resistance but you can't have everything. The dessert was lovely; fresh fruit with a bit of naughty ice cream. This was washed down with a nice glass of wine and followed with some Toblerone and coffee. Yum yum. Our eldest son takes his turn tomorrow - home made lasagne followed by chocolate cheesecake, I'm looking forward to that.

After dinner I started work on my TT bike. I put the new tub on my new deep rim wheel, stripped the handlebars of the bar tape and took the brake levers off and chopped the handlebars down to size. I was going to cut the tribars down as well but the shape of the tribars is not constant along its length so the bar end shifters would no longer fit, so they have had to stay the same. I then changed the rear mech and was going to change the bottom bracket but couldn't find the bottom bracket removal tool. I know I have it somewhere and it's somewhat frustrating not being able to find it. I also need some cable cutters to finish it all off - that will have to wait for tomorrow.

Anyway, after a week of total rest training starts tomorrow for the 2009 season. I will take a couple of weeks to ease into it and then it will be time for some serious bike training and a little bit of swimming and running. Take care folks and train smart!

5 comments:

Daz Sharpe said...

Hope you are putting pics on here of the bike with the new stuff on. Its the law!

Sags said...

So much food....so little training....tsk, tsk!

Turbo Man said...

Yes, pics will be put up once it's finished. I've found my bottom bracket tool and ordered the cable cutters and some stuff for my mountain bike from Wiggle this morning. It's all coming together, I just need to sort that small matter of training now!

Iron Girl said...

Loving the 'Come Dine with Me' idea! Sounds a great idea

Turbo Man said...

It is, everyone's really enthusiastic about it. I think Mrs Turbo Man was particularly keen as she gets 4 days without cooking! The food so far has been really good.