NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Thursday 17 November 2011

SAD

SAD, as in Seasonal Affective Disorder, rather than sad, not being a happy bunny. The dark mornings and evenings seem to have dragged the enthusiasm for fitness training out of me. But never fear, I have a plan!

I've started cycling to and from work, it's not far and I'm especially enjoying the ride home. I'm using Mrs TM's non-electric powered commuter bike so it's not ideal, but it's good fun. I reckon this is saving me a gallon of petrol a week so I've decided to use the money saved to change my PX from a drop bar race bike to a flat bar commuter speed demon. The parts have been ordered and should be here early next week. The PX will then be converted and hardcore commuting will commence, along with lunchtime bike rides. The rides will be short but fresh air and a slow build up of miles in the legs is the aim. The CrossFit will help build strength and endurance.

Pictures to follow when the conversion is complete. Feeling positive.

3 comments:

Sags said...

I understand SAD very well - I have a severe case! Don't you ever . . . . ever let me hear that you have been riding a motorized bike!!! You will never hear the end of it!! Chortle!

Turbo Man said...

Don't worry mate, pedal power! I doubt there are many carbon-framed, Ultegra SL geared and Ksyrium SSC SL wheeled commuter bikes out there, so it should at least be a bit different. Damn fast for a commuter as well.

Cavegirl said...

Go down to Holland and Barrett and purchase their biggest bottle of Vitamin D3, the 25 ug option and take 2 - 5 tablets daily (2-5,000 IUs). Seriously, the low feeling is due to lack of sunlight and vitamin D manufacture. After a few days you will literally feel the mood lift.