NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Thursday 12 November 2009

Weight Training Hurts

No, not the actual part in the gym, but 36 hours later. I know I'm not getting any younger but these sessions are taking longer than I expected to recover from. I assume that means they are doing some good?

4 comments:

Sags said...

The old weights can leave you feeling like a steel girder eh?! The trick is to start off very light and build up slowly. We often feel like we can push it fromthe start; it even feels ok. But when we have cooled down and had a night's sleep, it comes back to bite!

Turbo Man said...

I think the body needs to get used to it. I'm not lifting big weights and not doing any leg weights at all; only useful if you're a track sprinter apparently - discuss.

Daz Sharpe said...

I've never done weights but often consider it, its a tough call and I keep thinking it should be done and should try it as somthing different to the same old routine through the winter, only prob is i'm worried I would either damage myself or end up with too many slow twitch fibres and loose the speed????

Turbo Man said...

Hence no leg weights for me. There are some lengthy threads on TriTalk about the pros and cons of weight training; it seems it's good for running and track sprinters but no good whatsoever for endurance cyclists. You really do have to read the detail and then make your own mind up.