NO LOVE HANDLES ALLOWED!

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.' Theodore Roosevelt 23 April 1910

Sunday 1 November 2009

An Auspicious Start

OK, OK, I know I said that I would be out come rain or shine but I wasn't quite prepared for rain, wind and very poor visibility. Consequently, discretion was the better part of valour and I hit the turbo, not a long or particularly intense session and I used it to tweak the gears and get the bike riding smoothly. After its winter overhaul the turbo bike is noticably smoother; I upgraded from Sora 8-speed to Ultegra 9-speed with a Dura-Ace Octalink bottom bracket and it has made a noticeable difference. And all for minimal cost, as these parts were all just lieing around the garage.

As promised I weighed myself this morning; starting weight is 11 stone 11 pounds (75kg) and target weight is 11 stone 4 pounds (71.8kg) or less. I am much further forward than at the beginning of this season where I was weighing 12 stone 6 pounds in early March. Target FTP is 330 watts; we'll see what the stats say on that subject later this week.

Train smart folks.

3 comments:

Daz Sharpe said...

tut tut tut, not scared of a bit of rain are we?

Daz Sharpe said...

rain comment made from a nice warm dry work CIS Ops!

Turbo Man said...

LOL! It wasn't the rain so much as the wind and the very poor visibility; no point getting knocked off your bike when you could be safe on your turbo.